Saturday, December 12, 2015

The Kittens Are Coming!

It is cold and rainy outside and actually feels a bit like fall. Or winter. Whichever season it's supposed to be. Generally, we have two seasons: rainy and dry. The blustery weather gave me a chance to pull on a pair of knee-high boots that haven't zipped since I started on steroids and the wonderful swelling began.

Guess what?!?!?

They ZIPPED UP!!! All the way! 

I tried to wear these boots just a few weeks ago and I couldn't get them to zip over tights. Today, they zipped over thermal leggings. It appears the steroid swelling is starting to go down! I am thrilled but not terribly surprised, since I have cut my Prednisone back from 25mg/day to 10mg/day. Just one more reduction to go and then I think I will switch to HC, since that is what so many others feel best on. 

Oh, what's that? You don't care about my boots and just want to hear about the kittens? Ok, fine. 

A friend of mine fosters animals since there is such a pet over-population problem where I live in Mexico. The shelters are always full and there are always animals in need. He generally has about 20 animals in his home! He is incredible. And deserves a vacation. So he is heading to the beach for a few days and asked me to take care of two tiny kittens he recently rescued. I jumped at the chance (hello ticking ovaries)!

The kittens were burned in a fire that killed the rest of their litter mates and their mama. They are only about a week old, eyes just opened and bright blue. They were singed a bit but their mama managed to get them out of the fire. My friend came across them about that time and waited and watched for the mother cat to return for the two babies but when she did not, and he could not find her, he had to assume that she died in the fire. So he scooped them up and took them home, as he does with every animal he sees in need. 

We are enjoying bottle-feeding them and marveling at how tiny they are. Their heads are no bigger than a ping pong ball. If they ever stop squirming, I'll try to get more pictures. 

They both need names. Let me know if you have any ideas. 

In the meanwhile, we are calling them the white one, and the black one, which honestly sounds a bit racist and I'd like to stop calling them that as soon as possible. 

Love, 

an Addison alien






No comments:

Post a Comment