Monday, December 7, 2015

Why Blog?

Mostly because I love to write. I think I always have and I know I always will. I'd rather write historical fiction or the next YL smash hit but here's the thing. I have Addison's Disease and as much as I don't want to let it define me, it does dictate my lifestyle in many ways.

Don't get me wrong. Many of these ways are good. Like quitting smoking (sigh) and drinking (yes, really). It directs me towards reading about the latest health trends and trying new things like kombucha (probably spelled wrong and I don't care and also it's gross, don't drink it).

As I've stumbled along since getting diagnosed, I've made a lot of mistakes. I've done dumb things, like listen to doctors, and take the medications they prescribe me. I often felt alone. I Googled and Googled and found so little relevant information on Addison's out there. Facebook groups seemed to be the best informed, which is its own form of crazy. How is it possible that a random stranger's advice online is better than a medical doctor's? I don't know how but I suspect it has something to do with the kind of magic that keeps Miley Cyrus famous.

They say, write what you know (you know, the great "they", much like the "royal we"). Living with Addison's Disease day in and day out is what I know. So I'm going to go ahead and write about it. Because the most defining trait of a writer is one who actually writes. For some reason, this is distinguishable from thinking about what one would write. Not to worry, surely we will soon be able to to download our thoughts and have computers type them out for us.

In the meanwhile, I blog. Here are some of the things I plan to write about and/or try:

- finding the right medication for you
- what the heck causes Addison's Disease in the first place
- gaining weight on steroids
- trying to lose weight on steroids
- Ayurveda
- yoga to stimulate the adrenals
- essential oils to stimulate the adrenals
- how Hashimoto's and Addison's are connected
- other health problems caused by Addison's
- skinny vs fat: someone always has something to say
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- DHEA 
- water grain kefir
- different diets and how I have failed tried each one

I figure if I am going to try all these things, I may as well keep record of it. And maybe someone else out there will read this and not make the same mistakes I made. That is my intention.

I should probably mention that I am not a doctor, do not have any medical training, and am not advising you to go against your own doctor's orders. Everything I do, I do under my own medical team and you should too.

Which I really shouldn't even have to mention but apparently one must act as if everyone who reads blogs online is an idiot. I don't think you're dumb (unless you plan to vote for Donald Trump). 

Love,

an Addison alien


No comments:

Post a Comment