Sunday, January 31, 2016

Officially Obsessed

I am in love!

Not with a man (I'm still waiting for my knight of pentacles), but with a FitBit!

Have you heard of this? They use them on The Biggest Loser all the time and nowadays, they are so small it's just like wearing a watch. Except that the FitBit does way more than tell you the time.

It records your heart rate, the number of calories you burn, and how many steps you take. It also tracks your sleep! I am thinking everyone with Addison's Disease should get one. Here's why.

I have complained to my doctor of fatigue more times than I can count. This is a very common complaint from all kinds of people, but especially those with chronic, invisible illnesses. I take a prescription sleep medication every night and rarely go out in the evenings. My whole goal is just to get a good night's sleep. But no matter how early I go to bed, I am still tired when I wake up in the morning. I feel like I spend most days counting down until I can lay down again. And for the life of me, I just.could.not. figure out why.

Enter FitBit sleep tracker. Hmmm, so I wake up or am restless between 25 and 50 times per night? Well, I guess that would help explain why I am so tired all the time! In the week I have been tracking my sleep, the longest stretch of time I have gone without waking up or going into restless sleep, is ONE hour and 30 minutes. No joke.


On top of that, the betablocker I am taking is clearly not controlling my tachycardia as well as it should. I know this because the FitBit thinks I am exercising 8+ hours per day, based on my elevated heart rate.

I am also able to input what I eat and make sure I am eating less calories than I am burning, so hopefully I can get this steroid weight off.

I am also down to 7.5/10 mg of Prednisone. I think my moon face is going down, but it could be wishful thinking.

Love,

an Addison alien

who isn't getting any kick backs from FitBit...but will be bringing its results to my doctor as soon as I can get an appointment 






No comments:

Post a Comment